If Ankiel can come back...

It's Mediocre Month at We Rite Goode...where in the spirit of things, we're only devoting two weeks to celebrating lousiness. Yes, as August limps to a close, we shuffle along with it, thinking of the most awful-yet-great athletes who made us grin or, more likely, groan. I'll let Jimmy Chitwood take it away...--Crucifictorious

How does one recognize memorable cases of mediocrity? By definition, it seems impossible. The most exposure I had in dealing with mediocre athletes growing up was, naturally, collecting baseball cards. My interest in cards peaked in 1989, when I must have purchased dozens of packs of 1989 Topps cards at the legendary local discount store of my hometown (I'll spare you the suspense and tell you the store has passed away into memories). I can picture the '89 Topps design perfectly, from hours of staring at card after card in my room after ripping open the package and finding a couple dozen nondescript, no-talent ass clowns (at least by major league standards). Even my once-prized Ken Griffey Jr Topps Traded 1989 #41T is now worth only $4.86, according to Beckett. Don't feel bad for me; if I sold that card, I could buy 1.64 gallons of gas at the Circle K. That ain't too shabby.

Anyhow, I admittedly had to consult the web to select my perfect paragon of mediocrity from the 1989 Topps set-- a card that I had several of, with high hopes for stardom. You're in luck, Gregg Jefferies Future Star! As a 9 year-old kid, if Topps tells you a player is a Future Star, you tend not to question it. This Jefferies guy was destined for greatness. He's going to break through one of these years. You gotta believe!

Labels: ,

posted by Jimmy Chitwood @ 17:22,

1 Comments:

At September 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM, Blogger Crucifictorious said...

I too had the complete Gregg Jefferies collection--especially the Donruss Rated Rookie--but was too young and naive to understand why he didn't become the next George Brett.

Jimmy, know that you're not alone; a few others share the Jefferies dream.
http://metsarebetterthansex.blogspot.com/2006/04/national-campaign-gregg-jefferies-day.html

http://metsguyinmichigan.blogspot.com/2005/11/every-signature-tells-story-gregg.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


link to onlinedegreeadvantage.com
online degree programs guide